by Maggie LaMaack
This week on #MSPtweeps we’re joined by local lawyer(ish person) Lisa Needham, aka @Snipy.
LOL/OMG: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
@snipy: Proud North Sider. Hater. Theoretically, I’m a lawyer, but mostly these days I run two blogs: www.bitterempire.com and www.bitterlawyer.com, which are pretty much exactly what they sound like. When I’m not doing that, a local law school lets me teach law students how to write, which seems like a poor choice on the school’s part. I have the Darth Kitty tattoo that is in my Twitter avitar. I read everywhere, including in bars, which actually makes one more beloved by bartenders than you might think.
When and why did you join Twitter?
I joined in 2008 so I could follow a NASA Twitter account for one of the Mars Rovers. I have an inordinate affection for space hardware. I then promptly forgot about Twitter for close to two years, until enough of my meatspace friends were on it and I felt like they were having fun without me. Also, my loathing for Facebook reached peak loathe.
What is the best thing and the worst thing about Twitter?
Best: The totally freewheeling, chaotic, ephemeral nature of it. Having several things going at a time with everything from a substantive conversation about whether the prosecutor in the Serial podcast was shady (he’s totally shady) to checking out a picture of Freddie Mercury in an impossibly low-cut jumpsuit to following someone’s Goodreads tweets is pretty much my idea of heaven.
Worst: The egg barge. Twitter is a freewheeling conversation, and it is totally cool to jump in, but creating a brand new egg account with no personal info just to hurl yourself into a conversation is the virtual equivalent of wandering up to strangers at parties and yelling at them.
Tell us something about yourself we wouldn’t know from following you on Twitter.
I used to be a first soprano and was able to hit the “C” above high C. There is an album with my high school choir that documents this, but fortunately my parents have what I assume is the only copy in existence now.
You have 160 characters to write yourself a brand new bio. Go!
Sharp as a tack. Some type of lawyer or something.
Give us your top three of each:
Local Twitter accounts:
1. @NorthernMNer – I’m fudging a bit here because he lives in the tundra, but he’s my go-to person when I need someone to help me justify buying yet another J Crew sweater. I suspect he’s probably available to provide that service for others if you need help justifying your clothing purchases.
2. @panndder – Consistently funny enough that I will forgive his Randy Newman obsession
3. @neatpickleye – For live-tweeting wrestling, a thing I somehow find engaging even though I’d never watch it.
Non-local Twitter accounts:
1. @wnd_go – The start of a creepy choose-your-own-adventure game on Twitter, in which you inevitably get killed. I play it a few times a day to see if it changed or if I will live. I never live.
2. @theferocity – Equal parts Beyonce videos, LGBT politics, poetry and brunch talk.
3. @carynrose – Your Twitter destination for Replacements and Bruce Springsteen obsessing.
Favorite things on the Internet this week:
1. I can’t remember the last time I shared something from The Onion, but this heartwarming tale of new baby Supreme Court justices being hatched (and having to prevent Justice Scalia from eating the weaker ones, of course) made me literally LOL.
2.This insane gif of every David Bowie hairstyle for the last 50 years.
3. The New York Public Library is putting old reference requests on Instagram under the tag #letmelibrarianthatforyou, and they’re weirdly poignant.
Remember how we were all going to go be on Ello instead of Twitter? That was the best. Team Twitter 4 Lyfe.