by Maggie LaMaack
Happy 2015, Twitter! Hope everyone is enjoying the new exploding favstars as much as we are.
We usually start out with a bio, but Kate Sommers (@ForkKnifeSpoon) did our job for us this time.
LOL/OMG: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
@ForkKnifeSpoon: I do social and Internet strategy things at General Mills, and I like food quite a lot. I occasionally get paid to take pictures. I feel like I complain a lot but have recently been told I am a “ray of sunshine,” so who knows. I often drink wine after my kids go to sleep and live tweet syndicated episodes of “The Goodwife.” Pictures of my children are usually only shared via instagram (@forkknifespoon) and I think my recent re-entry into blogging with @flockofbroads is pretty rad.
When and why did you join Twitter?
I joined Twitter in January of 2009 because I always liked the Internet and it seemed like an interesting thing. I was on vacation in Texas at the time and didn’t know what the hell was going on, so I was tweeting things such as “I’m in Houston Texas” because people were doing foursquare check-ins and I didn’t quite realize that foursquare was a thing. A few months later I took a job that was very isolating, so I used Twitter as a way to talk to people during the day. In essence, everyone I tweeted with were my virtual co-workers.
What is the best thing and the worst thing about Twitter?
Best: Quickly getting recommendations from people I respect on pretty much anything at all: Where to eat in LA, what recipe to use for chicken and dumplings, what TV show to watch next. I have also made and maintained some pretty kickass friendships with people I’ve met via Twitter, so that’s neat.
Tell us something about yourself we wouldn’t know from following you on Twitter.
I’ve been told I have nice teeth. Oh, and I can whistle really loudly with my fingers.
You have 160 characters to write yourself a brand new bio. Go!
Alicia Florrick is my spirit animal.
Give us your top three of each:
Local Twitter accounts:
1. @mylittlebloggie – Bob is as grumpy out-loud as I feel most of the time. I wish he was my uncle.
2. @tal_joy – Talia is probably my work BFF and a member of The Flock. She’s refreshingly funny and smarter than me, which I like.
3. @noraborealis – I didn’t even meet Nora until about 12 months ago, and at our first meeting she gave me a hug I’ll never forget. She keeps me grounded and doesn’t mind that I have no filter and swear a lot. Plus, she doesn’t let me get away with telling people I’m tall (5’9″) because well …
Non-local Twitter accounts:
1. @marthastewart – Her account is worse than a natural disaster and I absolutely love it.
2. @wholefoods – I’ve been trolling their recipe ALL CAPS strategy intermittently for over a year and they still haven’t stopped (or blocked me). You have to appreciate their tenacity, even if you don’t agree with their tactics.
3. @kairyssdal – If you’re not in love with Kai, you’re not human. He also fav’ed one of my tweets once and I died.
4. @blueheronfarmtx – Occasionally live tweets goats giving birth and I just think that’s great.
Favorite things on the Internet this week:
1. I can’t believe I’m linking to BuzzFeed, but this has brought me insurmountable joy more times this week than I’m willing to admit publicly.
2. This app is bringing a little bit of happiness to this bullshit weather.
3. My pal @toneslibera wrote a nice warm fuzzy about his sweet dog he adopted a year ago.
Please deliver tacos.