by Maggie LaMaack
Other facts about her include:
– Her karaoke go-to is Ballroom Blitz by the Sweet.
– Her Twin Cities haunts are Club Jaeger for beers, Darby’s for trivia, the Mill NE for brunch, Runyon’s for wings, the Varsity for shows, and every one of her high school friends’ baby showers.
– She is afraid of sharks.
– loves custard desserts.
– She likes fall.
LOL/OMG: When and why did you join Twitter?
EW: December of 2008. I was looking for jobs. I think at that point I believed Twitter was Facebook for business. Apparently I was unaware of the existence of LinkedIn. Since then, I have barely used it as a tool for professional development. Instead, I mostly tweet about TV which always makes me feel like a fraud as a food critic. But l’m of the LeVar Burton school of thought when it comes to my restaurant assessments: You don’t have to take my word for it. It’s fine by me if you love some stupid sushi bar that I referred to as “the Black Eyed Peas of Japanese cuisine.”
LOL/OMG: What is the best thing and the worst thing about Twitter?
EW: Not to get super heavy right from the get-go, but I think the best thing about Twitter is the way it’s being used in breaking big, controversial news stories in real time. When I look at the way we all followed the developing situation in Ferguson versus the much more limited and narrow way we were able to experience and digest something like 9/11 in terms of media sources and that feet on the street perspective, it’s like night and day. I guess it’s probably the worst thing about it too. To be glued to these streams while all this terrible stuff is happening makes you feel this weird mix of informed but powerless and voyeuristic. It’s still probably my favorite social media platform.
Or, alternately I could answer “best is seeing who celebrities follow” (my fave finding was that Soon-Yi Previn used to ONLY follow Tasti DeLight) and “worst is the hashtagification of America.”
LOL/OMG: Tell us something about yourself we wouldn’t know from following you on Twitter.
EW: I’ve never had a cavity. BUT I also haven’t been to the dentist in like, 6 years. So … I think we can all agree I am doing a bang-up job of being an adult.
LOL/OMG:You have 160 characters to write yourself a brand new bio. Go!
EW: *160 fried shrimp emojis*
LOL/OMG: Give us your top three of each:
Local Twitter accounts:
1. @MarcusMichalik is the only person I know who watches more and weirder TV than I do. Like, Marcus knows what’s happening on Basketball Wives AND Burn Notice. Sometimes our TV tweet convos get too intense and we have to take them offline.
2. @shittyideasguy I just really love the image of hand-feeding roast beef into a car CD player.
3. @foyobli is always linking to interesting longreads that I wouldn’t have found otherwise.
Non-local Twitter accounts:
1. I can’t tell you how enjoyable @JoyceCarolOates feed is. She constructs tweets exactly the way you would expect a decorated novelist to write them. But then every so often she sneaks a picture of a possum in there.
2. I love the irreverence and intelligence of @mallelis, editor of @TheToast
3. My lovely husband @davidmccrindle oftens sends me squee posts from @EmrgencyKittens
Favorite things on the Internet this week:
1. All the articles with conflicting viewpoints and interesting arguments about whether Gone Girl was sexist or feminist.
2. The Times profile of Marilynne Robinson. I love her.
3. Kangaroo Street Fighters!!!