by Maggie LaMaack
This week on #MSPtweeps, we’re joined by @RandBallsStu. Stu is contributor to @RandBall‘s Star Tribune sports column (which is why he is called @RandBallsStu, obviously). He also read a lot of maps (or something) as a kid, and now has the ability to guess where your family is from if you tell him your last name.
2009, I think? I joined Twitter because Michael “RandBall” Rand told his idiot blog commenters, of which I was one, that he had just created an account and that we should, too. It was a good thing he did, as my comments were increasingly getting taken down because the Strib’s moderator didn’t appreciate my jaundiced wit and near-constant use of the word “butthole.”
What is the best thing and the worst thing about Twitter?
The best thing about Twitter is that it’s not Facebook. The worst thing about Twitter is that I’m not getting paid to be on it.
How does it feel to have an entire identity tied to @Randball‘s existence?
As noted above, I created my account at RandBall’s suggestion. I loved Mystery Science Theater 3000 growing up and the character “TV’s Frank,” so I went with “RandBall’s Stu.” Here is what I think about that now:
1. The Twitter handle doesn’t allow for apostrophes, so “RandBallsStu” reads like Rand is balling me. For the record, he is not, but I’ve been told that he is a tender yet firm lover.
2. At the time, everyone knew me from the blog, so it made sense. Now that people may know me just from being a wiseass on Twitter or my TwinkieTown work, it’s maybe a little less appropriate. But I still write over there, and I owe whatever success I’ve had at getting my dumb words out to a wider audience all to Mike giving me a platform in the first place. I see no reason to change it now unless I need to start using my real name or Rand becomes an anti-vaccination zealot.
Tell us something about yourself we wouldn’t know from following you on Twitter.
As a 4th-grader, I took second place in the Renville County Spelling Bee. I misspelled “pheasant.” If Cathy Olson, the person who took first, is reading this: HOW MANY TWITTER FOLLOWERS YOU GOT, CATHY? THOUGHT SO.
You have 160 characters to write yourself a brand new bio. Go!
I need a job. Hire me to write words for you. Go Vikings.
Give us your top three of each:
Favorite things on the Internet this week:
1. This picture from the Dinkytown Riots (worst Dropkick Murphys song ever, by the way).
2. A major American airline’s Twitter account posted a picture of a lady wedging a model 777 into her hoohah. Did anyone else hear about this?
3. Tom Scharpling’s video for the song “Crime” by the band Real Estate.
Any last words?
I know we joke a lot around here, but really, I’m unemployed. Please hire me for your job. Are you a wealthy dowager or gadabout who needs someone to run through your sprinkler in the fading sunlight just so you can feel something again as you sip your gin rickey? I am your guy.